Tuesday, June 30, 2015
Friday, June 19, 2015
Come together with other social justice people for this unique gathering to:
- Explore the intersection of core issues
- Strengthen our connections
- Formulate action plans
Saturday, October 17th, 2015
on the Peace Campus
3850 Westgate Place, San Diego 92105
PLANNING IS UNDERWAY!
8:30-9:00 am Registration
9:00-9:30 am Welcome/Opening
9:30-10:30 am Keynote
10:45-12:00 pm Session A (workshops 1-4)
12:00-1:00 pm Lunch
1:00-2:15 pm Session B (workshops 5-8)
2:30-3:45 pm Session C (workshops 9-12)
4:00-4:30 pm Next Steps/Closing
Coordinators: Peace Resource Center of San Diego WWW.PRCSD.ORG,San Diego First Church of the Brethren, AFSC-San Diego
Questions? email@example.com or 619-263-9301
Wednesday, June 17, 2015
Begin forwarded message:
From: "Clare Crawford, Center on Policy Initiatives" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: June 17, 2015, 7:00
Subject: Shorted: New CPI/SDSU study finds wage theft in San Diego area restaurants
Center on Policy Initiatives
Yesterday CPI and San Diego State University released a new study on workplace conditions in the San Diego restaurant industry. The findings should be of concern to anyone who works or eats in restaurants.
In the study, Shorted: Wage Theft, Time Theft and Discrimination in San Diego County Restaurant Jobs, we surveyed 337 employees of all kinds of restaurants, from fast food to fine dining, throughout the San Diego region. More than three-quarters of them reported their employers have illegally shorted them on wages or tips. A third said it happens on a regular basis.
You can download the report, watch the press conference, and see initial media coverage at www.onlineCPI.org/shorted.
Wage theft means withholding pay that is legally due to employees. The main forms reported in the survey were:
- Requiring unpaid off-the-clock work before or after shifts,
- Failing to pay overtime rates,
- Deducting from paychecks for damages or cash register shortages,
- Paying less than minimum wage,
- Sending workers home early without compensation,
- Diverting any part of workers' tips to managers.
We also found other legal violations, such as preventing meal breaks or rest breaks, and widespread scheduling practices that rob employees of their personal time.
This pilot study indicates a dire need for more research into the problems reported by San Diegans employed in the restaurant industry, and for stronger enforcement of the laws on the books. Our findings are consistent with other wage theft studies in Los Angeles and across the state of California that have identified the restaurant industry as one of the worst violators.
Our report includes specific information on existing laws regarding wages and breaks, and we hope it will help inform employees of their rights. Please help us get the word out by sharing the report: www.onlineCPI.org/shorted, and in Spanish at www.onlineCPI.org/estafado.Sincerely,
We also invite you to a community forum where the research team will discuss the findings. The presentation is at 6 p.m. on Monday, July 6, with pizza provided at 5:30. It will be at the Employee Rights Center, 4265 Fairmount Avenue, Suite 210, in San Diego.
Thanks for your support of CPI.
Clare Crawford, Executive Director
Center on Policy Initiatives
Created with NationBuilder, the essential toolkit for leaders.
Sunday, June 14, 2015
"Moyers & Company presents "United States of ALEC," a report on the most influential corporate-funded political force most of America has never heard of — ALEC, the American Legislative Exchange Council. A national consortium of state politicians and powerful corporations, ALEC presents itself as a "nonpartisan public-private partnership". But behind that mantra lies a vast network of corporate lobbying and political action aimed to increase corporate profits at public expense without public knowledge.
Using interviews, documents, and field reporting, the episode explores ALEC's self-serving machine at work, acting in a way one Wisconsin politician describes as "a corporate dating service for lonely legislators and corporate special interests."
In state houses around the country, hundreds of pieces of boilerplate ALEC legislation are proposed or enacted that would, among other things, dilute collective bargaining rights, make it harder for some Americans to vote, and limit corporate liability for harm caused to consumers — each accomplished without the public ever knowing who's behind it.
"All of us here are very familiar with ALEC and the influence that ALEC has with many of the [legislative] members," says Arizona State Senator Steve Farley. "Corporations have the right to present their arguments, but they don't have the right to do it secretly."
"United States of ALEC" is a collaboration between Okapi Productions, LLC and the Schumann Media Center, headed by Bill Moyers, which supports independent journalism and public watchdogs including the Center for Media and Democracy, whose investigators are featured in the report." -- billmoyers.com/segment/united-states-of-alec/
Saturday, June 13, 2015
Bring signs, hats, water and be ready to peacefully rally and march. If driving, park on the street south of Broadway or west of trolley station. Obey all traffic laws and do not obstruct traffic or other pedestrians. Wear your UU Standing on the Side of Love shirt or goldenrod yellow top.
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
- World’s Largest Solar Powered Seawater Desalinatio...
- [SDCPJ] PRISMS Conference, Save the Date! Oct 17
- Anniston, Alabama police dept. has two hate group ...
- [SDCPJ] This SAT! 2-6pm Kids' Peace Fest
- RWW News: Jones: Charleston Shooting Part Of Socia...
- WATCH: Ohio Police Allegedly Use Extreme Force in ...
- [SDCPJ] Fwd: New CPI/SDSU study finds wage theft i...
- [SDCPJ] United States of ALEC? find out more at Wo...
- Ascent Expo 2015 Sacred Feminine Panel with Jacque...
- [SDCPJ] Black Lives Matter Event in Lemon Grove, J...
- [SDCPJ] PLEASE FORWARD: Activist SD Elections & E...
- How do you distinguish Americans? (한글 자막) 미국인을 구분하...
- Watch Revolution and Help Us Save Our Oceans
- Kalief Browder: Poster Child for Injustice
- [SDCPJ] Agenda SDCPJ Monday night 6/8
- [SDCPJ] Fwd: [Occupysd] Join Nurses Tomorrow June ...
- [SDCPJ] Local Housing needed August 5-9, 2015 Vete...
- Democracy Now: Cultural Genocide
- [SDCPJ] Che in San Diego Free Press; Alumni at Che...
- [SDCPJ] Automatic draft registration passes Califo...
- [SDCPJ] June 6th - Garden Volunteer Day
- [SDCPJ] Fwd: June 6th - Work Day at the Peace Gard...
- ▼ June (22)
- ► 2014 (501)
- ► 2013 (459)
- ► 2012 (401)
- ► 2011 (430)
- ► 2010 (397)
- ► 2009 (408)
- ► 2008 (348)